Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 268: You're in line with the feline of Avenue B

A concept outfit. My love of Mimi from RENT (musical. Look it up. It's awesome.) was my inspiration for this outfit, in part. The nightie and leg apparel are in dedication to Mimi, along with the Sweater. But the sweater color is for the love of Angel. The print of the nightie is all Maureen and the shoes are her lovely lover's--Joanne, due to her father's comment "No Doc Martens, this time." In the song Voice Mail #2. If you've seen the musical live you (most likely) know what I'm talking about. If you've only seen the movie (which sucks) then you only sort of know what I'm talking about. If you've never seen either, then my 7 year old self empathizes.
Nightie/sweater: Johannah's. I'm so happily enamored with this dress, for a number of reasons: It fits like a dream, it's soft as a lake in Indiana, and it reminds me so thoroughly of my sister. The sweater will serve the purpose of representing the color red in my closet.
Tights/thigh highs: Target. These are Mimi more because of the musical in later years than the original production or the movie. If you've seen it, then remember the part at the end when Mimi is dying and wearing those killer grey, sweater-tights? This is the closest I could get to that effect.
Belt: J. Jill. Trying to achieve the appropriate level of grodiness.
Shoes: Dr. Martens. Is it socially acceptable to wear these shoes every day? I sure hope so.

No comments: